Bad First Impressions Drive One-Third of Consumers to Delete Apps
Global Survey Finds Consumers Delete Apps with Onerous Login; 72% say Being Locked out of an Account is More Frustrating than Forgetting a Mask at Home or a Toilet Paper Shortage at the Store
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- ForgeRock®, the leading provider in digital identity, today announced the release of volume two of its global report, “The New Normal – Living Life Online.” The study polled 5,000 consumers throughout the U.S., U.K., Germany, Australia and Singapore to understand consumer preferences when it comes to online experiences, including how they log in and what app features they value most. The report also uncovers what is at stake for organizations that fall short on delivering digital experiences.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201118005249/en/
Key findings include:
- Almost half of consumers (46%) said they wouldn’t register for a new account if it was too difficult to sign up.
- Consumers have a short fuse when it comes to poor digital experiences, with 35% cancelling or deleting an app if they have trouble logging in, while 32% said they would switch to a competitive service or app.
- Getting locked out of accounts is more frustrating for nearly three-quarters (72%) of consumers than forgetting their mask at home (44%) or not finding toilet paper at the store (51%).
- Globally, consumers are turning away from traditional passwords and usernames, preferring passwordless options like biometrics or multifactor authentication (MFA) to log in where available (57%).
- Consumers said preventing their data from being resold to third parties is a top priority when considering app features (70%).
“With consumers continuing to spend more of their lives online for the foreseeable future, it’s imperative that organizations simplify how consumers sign up, log in and engage with their apps and digital services,” said Ben Goodman, SVP of global business and corporate development, ForgeRock. “Consumer identity is at the heart of any digital experience. By putting identity at the center of the digital relationship, organizations can provide better and more secure access for consumers.”
Based on the survey findings, consumers 65+ gave the highest ratings overall for digital experiences, but those 18-24 are the most difficult to please. Across the globe, the Gen Z age group is most likely to delete their account (37%) or change service providers (34%) if they have a difficult login experience. This shows that organizations that do not provide a seamless log in experience could hurt their brand reputation with these young buyers for years to come.
The full findings of the report can be found here, including regional insights specific to the U.S., U.K., Germany, Australia and Singapore.
This report is the second installment evaluating how consumer behaviors have changed how and what digital activities they engage with since the start of the pandemic. Volume one is available here.
This study surveyed 5,000 consumers from the U.S., the U.K., Germany, Australia and Singapore for their preference and experience with apps and online accounts, as it related to pre-pandemic preferences. App and online account usage was evaluated across seven categories: education, retail, grocery, entertainment, financial, healthcare and government.
ForgeRock®, the leader in digital identity, delivers modern and comprehensive Identity and Access Management solutions for consumers, employees and things to simply and safely access the connected world. Using ForgeRock, more than a thousand global customer organizations orchestrate, manage, and secure the complete lifecycle of identities from dynamic access controls, governance, APIs, and storing authoritative data – consumable in any cloud or hybrid environment. The company is privately held, and headquartered in San Francisco, California, with offices around the world. For more information and free downloads, visit www.forgerock.com or follow ForgeRock on social media:
10Fold for ForgeRock
Released November 18, 2020